7 Mistakes you Should Avoid When Adopting a Diet to Lose Weight!
When we want to lose weight we must make up the idea that the diet is not temporary, but it is a permanent change of habits to keep us healthy. A healthy and balanced diet allows you to fight excess weight and, above all, helps stabilize it to keep the body healthy. The problem is that, in the eagerness to lose kilos, some commit dietary errors that, far from helping, become an obstacle to reach the goal. For this reason it is essential to recognize the things that should be avoided and, in particular, to understand that weight loss is not achieved overnight. A lot of attention!
The 7 Mistakes You Should Avoid when Adopting a Diet to Lose Weight
When it comes to losing weight, food is one of the most important pillars. Although it is necessary to complement it with a routine of exercise and other healthy habits, it plays an irreplaceable role. Most worrisome is that many are carrying a food plan based on false beliefs and, as a result, they are suffering from several health problems. Find out what these errors are.
1. Skip Meals
Hundreds of people think they can lose weight if they save a few calories by skipping one of the main meals. The truth is that, far from obtaining any benefit, this practice has counterproductive effects that prevent reducing those extra kilos.
- First, the body detects it as “scarcity” and, therefore, activates the hormones that make us store energy reserves in the form of fat.
- This slows metabolic functions and, therefore, reduces calorie burn.
- In addition, there are high chances of having more anxiety about food in later hours.
2. Adopt Miracle Diets
The popular “miracle” diets are those that promise to give surprising results in a matter of days or a couple of weeks. These are too low calorie food plans that, most of the time, lack essential nutrients.
- Although it is true that they help to lose weight fast, they produce deficiencies that endanger health.
- In the medium and long term they generate metabolic disorders that make the lost weight recover in a short time.
- They cause weakness and fatigue, interrupting daily activities.
- They generate a decrease in muscle mass and, as if that were not enough, they affect bone health.
3. Make a Bad Choice of Smoothies
The smoothies and natural juices have been considered a great complement to lose weight in a healthy way, without going hungry. However, some combinations of ingredients create drinks with too many calories, which prevent you from seeing the results of the diet.
- It is important to make a healthy choice, preferably made with low-calorie fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid the options prepared with yogurt or whole milk.
- Do not sweeten them with sugars or syrups.
- Do not add whipped cream or similar.
4. Obsessing with Calories
“It is true that a healthy eating plan must be moderate in calories in order to reduce the remaining kilos”.
However, it is not about obsessing about counting the calories, since the nutritional quality of the food must also be taken into account.
Thus, it is essential that the diet includes sources of:
- High quality proteins
- Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Dietary fiber.
- Vitamins and minerals.
5. Choose Unhealthy Supplements
Another frequent mistake among those who are trying a diet to lose weight is to reduce the properties of their healthy dishes with supplements full of calories and added substances. It is useless to prepare a delicious salad with fresh vegetables if it is covered with a dressing full of fat or refined sugar.
- Although we know that they improve the taste a lot, it is best to limit their consumption.
- Opt for home-made dressings, made with olive oil, lemon and fine herbs.
6. Consume Too Many Light Products
Because of the great announcements made by the food industry, many people believe that the best dietary option is one based on products with “light” labels. While many of these foods are lighter in calories compared to their usual versions, that does not mean they are healthier and do not fatten.
- It is essential to keep in mind that they also contain carbohydrates, fats and many additives that are not good for the body.
- Although some supplement the diet, they should not be the basis of this nor should they be ingested excessively.
7. Do Not Be Constant
Great care! This is one of the main mistakes. The lack of consistency with healthy eating is the reason why many fail to maintain a healthy weight.
- It is useless to eat healthy and lose kilos if afterwards they recover returning to the old eating habits.
- The willpower and discipline to eat healthy as part of the lifestyle must be maintained.
- The change of feeding should not be done seasonally: it is permanent.
Do you make any of these mistakes? If so, or do not lose weight, try to meet the recommendations given in each case and do not overlook what can be harmful.