Hemp milk is a vegetable drink that is obtained from the mixture of ground hemp seeds and water. It can be used as an alternative to cow’s milk and is suitable for vegan consumption.
Hemp milk is a drink of high nutritional value, because it contains large amounts of vitamins, amino acids and minerals. It has a silky texture and whitish color. Its flavor reminds of the nut and is slightly bitter so it can be sweetened with sugar or sweeteners.
This drink is an interesting option for those who have lactose intolerance or follow a vegan diet.
Nutritional value of hemp milk
Hemp milk is an ideal supplement for anyone looking to increase the daily intake of proteins, vitamins and minerals. It is composed of hemp seeds, which is the cannabis plant, of legal consumption and strictly regulated.
The proportion of nutrients that it presents is the following:
- High content of essential fatty acids (40%): those fatty acids that the organism cannot synthesize and need to include them from external sources. Its high amount of omega 3, omega 6 and gamma-linolenic acid is especially noteworthy.
- High percentage of vegetable proteins (35%): contains all the essential amino acids in a similar percentage to animal protein sources such as meat, milk or eggs.
- High amount of fiber (6%): beneficial for digestive health.
- High vitamin E content: a powerful natural antioxidant.
- Rich in essential minerals: phosphorus, potassium, iron, zinc and magnesium.
On the contrary, they have a low amount of:
- Carbohydrates (10%).
- Vitamin A, B and C.
- Calcium and manganese.
Benefits of hemp milk
Contains essential vitamins and nutrients
As we have seen in the previous section, hemp milk is rich in essential nutrients for the organism such as phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron or zinc. These minerals are important in the process of muscle contraction, the formation of bones and some biochemical processes of the nervous system, among many other things.
On the other hand, vitamin E is an important antioxidant in the field of cardiovascular health.
Regulation of intestinal transit and cholesterol
The high fiber content of the hemp seeds that are used to make this vegetable drink favors the regulation of intestinal transit, preventing problems of constipation.
Also it is possible to emphasize its regulating action of the levels of cholesterol and arterial tension, because the fiber prevents the absorption of the LDL (bad cholesterol).
Contraindications of hemp milk
The interaction of this drink with other compounds can decrease the formation of platelets; therefore, people who have problems related to coagulation or who are taking specific drugs should drink this drink with caution and consult a professional.
In addition, consumed in excess, hemp milk can cause diarrhea, stomach pains and abdominal distension due to its high fiber content.
Hemp milk is very easy to prepare and can stand in good condition for up to three days if stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Its method of preparation is similar to other vegetable drinks, such as almond milk or soy milk.
- 150 grams of hemp seeds
- 1 liter of water
- Sugar or natural sweetener: honey, stevia, cinnamon or dates
- a pinch of salt
- Soak the hemp seeds in a liter of water for about two hours.
- Once the time has elapsed, proceed to crush the mixture with the help of a blender. It is recommended to do it by parts, to make sure that a homogeneous mixture results.
- Then strain the resulting drink with a very fine sieve or with a piece of vegetable tissue. The part that remains in the colander can be used to make cookies, bread, muesli or biscuits.
- Add the pinch of salt and sweeten to your liking.
- Place the milk in a bottle and it is ready for consumption.
Hemp milk, like other vegetable drinks, is very versatile and can serve as a base for making smoothies, desserts and sauces. Combining it with fruit, low fat cheese and some whole grain cereal, it constitutes a nutritious and complete breakfast or snack.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.